Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Does Pizza Hut's Book It! program contribute to a nation of fat kids?


I fondly remember the days of my youth when I participated in the Pizza Hut sponsored Book It! program. I LOVED the idea that if I read enough books, I could get "a whole cheeze pizza just for me!" (I also liked Home Alone.) But as concern over childhood obesity has risen, a growing concern about the health implications of this program have also grown. Sarah Senghas outlines the argument in her Associated Content article "Critics Want to Can Pizza Hut's Book It Program: Read the Book, Eat the Pizza. Is that so Wrong?"

On one hand the program gets overwhelming support from some parents. (These are comments to Senghas article.)
Rhonda J. Rains 03/17/07:
Kids THRIVE on getting rewarded for something they did and it build their self confidence.... it also can prompt a family night out to a restuarant now and then. It's good to get out with the family for dinner once in awhile and I for one am so busy it's hard to imagine the long drive (we live in the middle of nowhere) there and back so we rarely go out. However when it's for a reward I then feel I need to make sure she gets that reward and in turn we have a fun family night out.
Tracie 03/24/2007:
C'mon- this obesity argument is getting a little out of hand- there is nothing wrong with things in moderation- as long as the children eat a generally healthy diet and combined it with daily activities there is absolutely nothing wrong with encouraging and rewarding them on a job well done!
I absolutely understand these perspectives and agree with them to a limited extent, yet at the same time I agree with these points too (from the CCFC website):
“BOOK IT! epitomizes everything that’s wrong with corporate-sponsored programs in school,” said Dr. Linn, author of Consuming Kids. “In the name of education, it promotes junk food consumption to a captive audience of children; turns teachers into Pizza Hut promoters; and undermines parents by positioning family visits to Pizza Hut as an integral component of raising literate children.”
"If I were trying to design a program that would undermine children's interest in books, lead them to read in a shallow fashion, and convince them to avoid challenging texts, I honestly don't think I could top Book It!,” said Alfie Kohn, author of Punished by Rewards and The Schools Our Children Deserve. “Dangling pizza in front of kids as a reward for reading, much as one might use treats to house-train a puppy, reflects a completely discredited theory of motivation. Indeed, by teaching children that reading is just a means to an end, the program is likely to be not merely ineffective but positively harmful."
Developmentally, Kohn is right. People aren't dogs, and behaviorism does not instill an intrinsic motivation to do anything. If children only read to get a prize, that's a problem. Even so, I remember my Book It family nights as pretty special. Yes, I had a button, and I wore it and it's little gold stars with pride. But, maybe that's proof of Pizza Hut's real purpose - to get people to buy pizza. There's no shame in that. Pizza is there business. And yippee that they're interested in encouraging kids to read. But what are the implications for a nation in health crisis?

When we know the following, it easy to understand why this rewards system is perhaps not the best health decision for children in a nation already struggling with weight related health issues:
BOOK IT! rewards students with certificates for a free Pizza Hut personal pizza when they reach certain reading goals. A Pizza Hut six-inch personal pan pizza has 630 calories and 27 grams of fat. With a topping, it can have as many as 770 calories and 39 grams of fat. For children ages 3-5, a Pizza Hut personal pizza can contain more than half of their daily caloric requirement, as well as their entire fat requirement.
(And yes, Pizza Hut does have a Book It! Beginners program for preschoolers.) Good memories or not, we must be conscious of what eating habits we are building in our children. Maybe reconsidering this program is part of that process.

If you'd like to TAKE ACTION, you can check out this fact sheet and action suggestions from CCFC.

2 comments:

Runner #5 said...

I think pre-school Book It is a little ridiculous. But, like you Kelly, I remember my Book It experience positively. As long as it's only at one time during the school year and for certain ages, I think a little reward for reading isn't so bad. But then again if you allow programs like this, where does it stop? Perhaps they should stick with giving kids t-shirts, like the Chicago Public Library reading program....

Sarah Wolf said...

Didn't there used to be Book It buttons? Weren't they like holographs? Yeah, Book It was cool. But I didn't even like pizza when I was a kid, so that proves kids will read books to get stickers on a chart, regardless of the reward! :)